SHR: A guide for tenants & service users

The SHR is the independent regulator of social landlords in Scotland. Social landlords are made up of registered social landlords (RSLs) – housing associations and co-operatives – and local authorities (LAs) or councils that provide housing and homelessness services.

The SHR regulates to safeguard and promote the interests of current and future tenants of social landlords, people who are or may become homeless, and people who use housing services provided by RSLs and local authorities.

The SHR published ‘How We Regulate: A guide for tenants and service users’ in November 2019.

The short guide has been written to help people find out more about the Regulator’s work. The guide also explains how tenants can find out about their landlord, what they can expect from it, and how they can make a complaint.  

SHR: How We Regulate - A guide for tenants and service users

National Panel of Tenants and Service Users

Add your voice, help improve services…SHR National Panel Logo

Would you like to help improve social landlord services in Scotland?  The National Panel is one of the ways that the Scottish Housing Regulator can hear what people think and make sure they focus on the important things.

Panel members are asked for their views on a range of issues affecting people who use social landlord services.  You will receive occasional surveys, information updates and invites to take part in other feedback exercises.  Participation is always optional, and you can leave at any time.

The Regulator wants to include as many different voices on the Panel as possible, including people who are not involved in other ways of giving views on landlord services (most members are not part of local tenant forums).  Members include Council and Housing Association tenants, people who are using or have used homeless services, home owners who receive factoring or common repairs from a social landlord, and people living on social rented Gypsy/Traveller sites.

SHR National PanelFind out more and join…

Online at

Call Engage Scotland (who manage the Panel) on 0800 433 7212
Request a printed form by email or call 0800 433 7212