Repairs Explained

Repairs are a big part of our repairs and maintenance service that we offer our customers, In this section we will explain more about the different types of repairs that the Assocaiation have to consider and explain what you the tenant are responsible for and what the Association is responsible for.

The aim of our website is to provide another way to allow customers to find out more about the Association and our services. Clicking on the selected repair category below will explain more about our repairs.

Our Responsibilities

Our Responsibilities are:

  • Drains, gutters and external pipes (except where blocked due to negligence)
  • The roof
  • Outside walls, doors, window sills and frames
  • Internal walls, floors, ceilings, doors and frames, staircases and landings (not including decoration)
  • Chimneys, stacks, flues (not including sweeping)
  • Pathways and steps
  • Plasterwork (If damage not caused by tenant)
  • Integral garages and stores
  • Boundary walls and fences
  • Heating systems, fires and services installed
  • Door entry system
  • Communal TV aerial systems
  • Extractor fans (not including cleaning)
  • Repairing any damage that we cause whilst carrying out repairs
  • Necessary repairs that are a result of fire, flood or natural disaster
  • Necessary repairs that are a result of acts of vandalism that have been reported to the police

Tenant Responsibilities

You the tenant are responsible for:

  • Reporting to us, as soon as possible, any damage to the house or common parts of the property
  • Taking reasonable care of the house this includes minor repairs and keeping the property in good condition
  • Internal decoration, any paintwork externally must be authorised by the association
  • Carrying out miscellaneous repairs, such as damage to glass or sinks; replacing lost or broken keys.
  • Replacing smoke-detector batteries
  • Notifying us of emergencies and allowing access
  • Taking reasonable care to ensure water pipes do not freeze, particularly if you are leaving the property unoccupied
  • Arranging home contents insurance for your belongings. We can give you details on some of the options that are available.
  • Asking permission before making any alterations

This list is not exhaustive. Please phone us and ask if you are uncertain.

Emergency Repairs

If you need to report an emergency repair call into our office at 5 Rozelle Avenue or telephone 0141 944 3891 during office opening hours.

If you require emergency assistance out with office opening times:

For emergency repairs, including no heating or hot water, (fire, flood, break-in, broken windows):

  • City Building on 0800 595 595

Examples of emergency repairs are given below:

  • Smell of gas CALL 0800 111 999 - See National Grid for more information on what to do if you smell gas.
  • Flooding in your house. Substantial water penetration to any room.
  • No heating during winter or cold periods.
  • A property which is insecure – broken window, forced doors, etc, (these must also be reported to the Police and an incident number obtained, before we will carry out the repair).
  • Lost or broken keys – please see section on Rechargeable Repairs to see if you may be liable for any payment to the Association for these.
  • Unsafe electrical circuit, sockets or switches which cannot be switched off and isolated. Loss of power – check credit if you have a power key meter.
  • Blocked toilets, wastes, drains, etc where there is no alternative.
  • Running overflows during winter months This list is not exhaustive and common sense should be used to decide if your repair is an emergency.

Right to repair

Some repairs fall under the category of the Right to Repair Housing (Scotland) Act 2001. These repairs can be from windows and external doors which are not secure, WC pans that are not flushing (and you only have one toilet in the property) blocked drains, sinks or baths etc.

Providing the tenant gives access for these repairs these repairs should be made safe or completed within timescales from when first reported. If the repair is not made safe or completed within these timescales the tenant can use another contractor from the Association's approved list of contractors and you will also be entitled to compensation of £15.00 and up to a maximum compensation amount of £100.00.

When you report a repair the person who is dealing with you will inform you if the repair in question is a qualifying Right to Repair.

If you would like further information on the Right to Repair Scheme please contact a member of our Housing Services team at the office or see The Scottish Government's Website

Rechargeable Repairs

Repairs you will be charged for

  • There are some repairs that you will have to pay for. We call these rechargeable repairs. Rechargeable repairs include
  • Repairs to damage that has been caused deliberately by you, your relatives or visitors
  • Call outs to fix TV signal problems if it is found that the fault is with your own equipment or lead
  • Call outs to emergency services when you do not give access
  • Repairs caused by a fault due to your fixtures, fittings, or installations
  • When you repeatedly fail to give access after making an arrangement to do so
  • Repairs to items installed by you which are your responsibility
  • Gaining access to the property where you have lost your keys on more than one occasion.
  • End of tenancy repairs where you fail to leave the property in an acceptable condition and to hand in 2 sets of keys